Sunday, November 26, 2017

Possession

Simone pops her head in.

This IS a small room, says Simone. Would one of you like to bunk in with me this evening?

I will, says Arthur.

Not you, says Simone.

She looks at Belle, but Belle is fussing with a tea towel.

I really came to get Baldy, says Simone. I'm off to the hairdresser this afternoon. I want him to come with me.

Can I bring my dog? asks Baldy.

You don't have one, says Simone.

You don't have one says Terence.

I changed my mind, says Baldy. I do have one.

He points at the poodle.

Oh, says Simone. We can't take that with us.

The poodle keeps smiling upwards and sideways.

It would drive her insane.

I'll take up your offer Simone, says Gaius. I might get some work done.

What? Really? says Simone Oh, all right, yes.....very good. And perhaps we could all meet for dinner. Jean Paul wants to say goodbye. There's a very nice creperie just round the corner. The Port Manech. Shall we, say, meet there at seven?

Sure, says Belle. Okay Sweezie?

Yeah, says Sweezus. Okay.

Come Baldy, says Simone.

Why do I have to go? asks Baldy.

I'm going to ask the hairdresser if she has any paint stripper, says Simone. I'm certain she will. At dinner, no one will recognise you. You'll be a new cherub.

She marches off, with Baldy in tow.

Look after my dog! calls Baldy, as he disappears down the stairs.

It's not fair, says Terence. Baldy gets to do everything.

Drat! says Gaius . I forgot to ask him if he found any reference in the Planning Scheme to the Far Eastern Curlew.

See, says Terence.

Perhaps Sweezie and Arthur will take you for a walk this afternoon, says Belle. You could go to the Place du Tertre.

Can I take my dog? asks Terence.

The poodle is smiling. It seems he expects to be taken.

No, says Sweezus. I'm not taking that ugly dog anywhere.

The poodle keeps smiling.

Insane.

What about me? says Saint Roley.

You can come, says Terence. And you can bring your cardboard with the face on.

Sweezus would prefer not to be seen round Montmartre with a bird and large sheet of cardboard with a face on.

His face says so.

Maybe not Saint Roley, says Belle.

He's my parrot, says Terence. Maybe not the cardboard.

It's my cardboard, says Saint Roley.

No comments: