Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Fluidity Of Existence

Sweezus has got over being ripped off.

He orders a caramel crepe. It arrives, very crisp at the edges.

Under the table, Terence and Baldy have stopped being chickens.

The only bird left is Saint Roley.

Simone kicks him, accidentally.

Ouch! says Saint Roley. Someone kicked me.

Not me, says Belle sticking her head under the table. Come out guys, we're leaving in a minute.

So this is goodbye, says Sartre, trying not to look jubilant.

For you maybe, says Simone. Gaius is sleeping with me.

I am? says Gaius. Oh yes, I'm in your room at the Mistral. I must pick up my things first.

Room 27, says Simone. Knock twice when you get there. I'll let you in.

She pays the bill, and leaves with Sartre, and Baldy, her little Parisien.

Sweezus has finished his crepe. He feels like another. And more organic cider.

So does Arthur.

They stay.

.......

Belle and Gaius return to the small room at the Mistral, with Terence, Saint Roley, and Terence's poodle.

Baldy didn't say goodbye, says Terence.

Nor did you, says Belle. We'll pop in and say goodbye in the morning. Now where shall we put this poodle?

I'll leave it to you, says Gaius. Right, back pack, notebook, pencil, sharpener, Council Planning Scheme. I'm off to room 27. See you in the morning.

Bye, says Belle. Have a good night.

Gaius leaves, and Belle places the poodle in a corner.

He doesn't like it in the corner, says Terence.

Since when do you know what he likes? asks Belle.

I don't, says Terence. I know what he doesn't like.

Chill out, Terence, says Belle. It's been a long day.

She moves the poodle.

She's right, it has been a long day.

.........

Much later:

Sweezus and Arthur stumble into the small room at the Mistral.

Crash! Something smashes.

......

Earlier, in Room 27.

Gaius: I didn't realise.....

Simone: Jean Paul and I have always had separate apartments.

Gaius: Never mind. You go to bed. I'll work in the corner. There's enough light coming in from the street lamp.

Simone: Nonsense. You must keep the light on. Baldy's asleep. We can chat.

Gaius: But...

Simone: You know, it's a great pleasure for me having Baldy. I never had any children. Jean Paul....

Gaius: Ahem...this is not.... yes Baldy is a fine little fellow. He read through my notes on the Moreton Bay Council Planning Scheme, looking for references to shorebirds.

Simone: Did he really? Clever little boy. Did he find any?

Gaius: No, that's the point! Soils, advertising devices, bushfires, neighbourhood hub, economic impact, extractive industry.....

Simone: Yes of course, but...

Gaius: No mention of .....

Simone: Shorebirds. I see. Would you like a hot chocolate? I made one for Baldy but he didn't drink it

Gaius: No thank you. And I'm not surprised he didn't drink it.

Simone: Why do you say that?

Gaius: He and Terence prefer red drinks. They both began their lives in cathedrals.

Simone: Oh. I see. Well Baldy has much to learn. Including the fluidity of existence.

Gaius: Hm.

Simone: Speaking of which, shall I crack open a bottle?

Gaius: I had hoped for an evening of quiet industry.

Simone: The two are not incompatible.

No comments: