Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Daylight Pleasures

Question one, says Gaius.

No! says Terence.

Not for you, says Gaius. For Kobo and Pinky.

Is it maths? asks Terence. I bet they can't do it.

It's not maths, says Gaius. Be quiet, Terence.

Get on with it, says Humboldt. We're all ears.

I'm not, says Kobo. Nor is Pinky.

Gaius ignores this and proceeds with his question which is:

Do you ladies have any objection to running at night?

It's not what I imagined, says Kobo.

No, it's not what we imagined, says Pinky.

What did you imagine? asks Gaius.

A blue sky, says Pinky. A blue ocean, white sand. We hold hands and run together over the sand. The wind blows our hair back. We're joyful.

Yes, says Kobo. We are both heavy and light. Of the earth and above it. We hold hands. Her four fingers are enclosed in my raised hand. We wear white garments that fall off at one shoulder partly revealing our breasts.

There must be daylight! croaks Ageless. He would not like to miss this due to poor lighting.

I see, says Gaius.

It's all in their heads, says Humboldt. They don't have true hands. They don't have hair. They don't wear white garments for breasts to fall out of. Or breasts.

All right, says Gaius. No need to be brutal.

I'm just saying, says Humboldt. It could easily take place at night.

It could, says Kobo. But that would mean waiting.

No matter, says Gaius. We'll go back to our cabin. I have several tasks to complete. One: find my pencils. Two: contact Arthur. Three: examine the dead bandy bandy.

So we're bringing it, says Humboldt.

Yes, I'll leave that task to Ageless, says Gaius. Come on, let's go back to the cabin for a hearty breakfast of apples and water.

They get on their bikes. Terence is in Gaius's basket, with the plum box. Kobo and Pinky in Humboldt's.

Ageless is dragging the dead bandy bandy.

Stop! says Terence. Can I walk with Ageless?

I don't see why not, says Gaius. He stops to let set Terence down.

Terence walks beside Ageless.

Can I do it? asks Terence.

Do what? says Ageless.

Drag the snake, says Terence.

With pleasure, says Ageless.

He hands Terence the tail.

Terence drags the snake by the tail, behind him, making patterns.

Once in a while he turns round and walks backwards.

Some pleasures should not be deferred.


No comments: