Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Was It Dark In The Painting?

The things we do! exclaims Gaius.

Indeed, agrees Humboldt. We are becoming nocturnal.

I meant this Picasso escapade with the plum box, says Gaius.

And the pasta wheels, says Humboldt. Which reminds me, when is high tide?

Good question, says Gaius. I'll consult my charts. No I won't. I don't have them.

They have arrived at the beach. Light is rapidly fading.

The comb crested jacana is there already, pacing up and down on the water.

O look, whispers Pinky. He's doing it. Walking on water.

The comb crested jacana stops walking, and hops over.

It's not easy, says the comb crested jacana. What with waves and so on.

Are we all ready? asks Gaius. If so, I'll hand over to Ageless.

At last, says Ageless.

Do be careful, Ageless, says Kobo. Our lives depend on it.

As if I would place you in danger, beloved, scoffs Ageless.

It's getting dark, says Pinky. Was it dark in the painting?

No it wasn't, says Kobo. But that can't be helped. At least this time you're conscious.

I'm SO conscious! says Pinky.

Ready, says Ageless.

Can I pull it? asks Terence.

No, says Gaius. Ageless will do it.

Ageless had not planned to do it. But he will do it.

His beloved will then be forever beholden.

But is there a string?

Any string? asks Ageless.

I'll go back and get some, says Humboldt. Wait here.

They wait for Humboldt.

Pinky chats with the comb crested jacana.

Have you eaten?

Yes, aquatic insects.

Which are your favourite?

The brown ones.

Aren't they all brown?

To be honest I don't really pay much attention.

Humboldt returns with a short length of string.

The string is attached to the plum box.

Will you come with us, in the plum box? Pinky asks the comb crested jacana.

No thanks, says the comb crested jacana. But I shall fly alongside you and witness the moving tableau.

How delightful, says Kobo. Perhaps you could afterwards describe it. And then the artistic among us might paint it, which......

But her words blow away.

Ageless is dragging the plum box in a southerly direction.

Wheee! cries Pinky.

Let's hold hands darling! cries Kobo. Aloft in the general euphoria!

Their long hair, non-existent, streams back, as their white garments slip from their shoulders.

But will the comb crested jacana perceive it?

No comments: