Sunday, October 14, 2018

Tampering With Jam

Pinky has been observing.

She nudges Kobo.

I think we should intervene, Kobo dear.

Mmm, what, why? asks Kobo. I was miles away.

I know, says Pinky. You were imagining this evening, everything going smoothly. Well I'm sorry to say things are not going smoothly.

With the plum box conversion? says Kobo, alert now.

Yes, Terence has tipped out the snakes prematurely, and made holes in the plum box for pencils.

How many holes? asks Kobo.

Six, says Pinky. The first four were not lined up properly.

I might have known, says Kobo. And the pencils won't function as wheels. Which ought to have been obvious.

Yes dear, says Pinky. But the snakes suggested they might be useful as axles.

Good for the snakes, says Kobo. Were I rudely awakened, I wouldn't have made any useful suggestions.

Nor would I, says Pinky. But that's not the worst thing.

No wheels for the axles, says Kobo.

One wheel, says Pinky. The lid of a jam jar.

Talk me through it, says Kobo. One lid of one jam jar. Are they making a hole in it?

That's the worst part, says Pinky. They are. But it's not in the middle.

Why not? asks Kobo. There's usually a small indentation marking the middle.

Is there? asks Pinky. What's that for?

Security reasons, says Kobo. If it's raised, someone may have tampered with the jam.

That's something I would not have suspected, says Pinky. I do LOVE knowing you!

I love knowing you, too, says Kobo. But continue.

Ageless found Gaius's Swiss army knife, says Pinky. It has a can opening device, but it's awfully primitive. And it made a triangular hole, nowhere near the centre.

Let me try and picture it, says Kobo. One wheel, and wonky.

That's it in a nutshell, says Pinky. Shall we intervene?

Yes, says Kobo. AGELESS!

My beloved! cries Ageless. Don't look yet!

Too late, says Kobo. I have looked, and found your efforts wanting.

It's not finished, says Terence. We need three more wheels. We've only got this one

You should have thought of that before, says Kobo. Where will you get them?

Woolworths, says Ageless. There's one down the road.

Oh really? says Kobo. Will you buy three more jam jars?

I'll look around, says Ageless.

Can I come? asks Terence.

Yes, says Ageless. Bring the apple bag.

.....

Pinky speaks to the snakes.

So sorry about this. Your sleeping box is ruined. We had not intended....

Ftt! says the old one. We have slept in worse places. It is cramped though.

Yes! With two hard pencil struts straight through the middle! hisses the new one.

Oh dear, says Pinky. Can you see my expression?

The new one sees her for the first time.

Is that HER?

Yes, that's Pinky Rose Comb. Look at her expression.

It's one of her most sympathetic expressions.

Her whimbrel beak is prettily turned down at the corners. Her pink rose comb quivers. Her complexion deepens.

But best of all is her suggestion:

Make use of the two extra holes in the plum box. Poke your tails through, as far as they'll go. You'll be surprised how much more room it gives you.

So she is wise, as well as compassionate.

And beautiful, with that beak drawn on sideways.

They follow her advice.


No comments: