Monday, October 29, 2018

I Lie Behind Stars

Some time elapses, passed in riddles.

What moves without seeing and cries without eyes? asks Kobo.

You, says Terence.

Wrong, says Kobo,. The answer is CLOUDS.

Excellent, says Gaius. Who has another one?

I do, says the old bandy bandy. I can't be seen, heard or smelled. I lie behind stars and under hills. I fill empty holes, I come first and follow after. What am I?

A bandy bandy, says Terence.

Wrong, says the old bandy bandy. The answer is DARK.

These are stupid, says Terence. Want a good one?

Yes, says Pinky.

I live in a palace, says Terence. No wait, I used to live in a palace. I have a magic bracelet. No wait, I used to have one, and I lost it. What am I?

A loser, says Ageless.

No need to rub it in, says Gaius.

ME! says Terence. Now you, Pinky.

This is FUN! cries Pinky.

You gave us the answer! says Terence.

That's not the answer, says Pinky. The answer is....CLOCK!

Darling, says Kobo. First you must ask the riddle.

What time is it? asks Pinky.

That's not even a riddle, says Terence.

I know, says Pinky, but my riddle reminded me .....

O yes, says Kobo, We're meeting the comb crested jacana at the beach at six thirty. What time is it?

Six fifteen, says Gaius. Plenty of time for Pinky to ask us her riddle.

When I take five and add six I get eleven, says Pinky.

Right! says Terence. Wait. Is it?

Right so far, says Gaius. Go ahead, Pinky.

But when I take six and add seven, I get one. What am I? asks Pinky.

Rubbish at sums, says Terence.

A CLOCK! says Kobo. Good one, Pinky. Do you get it, Terence?

No, says Terence.

It's one o'clock, says Pinky.

Can't be, says Terence.

It's six twenty five, says Gaius. We should be going.

They head for the beach in the twilight.

Gaius carries the plum box, with Kobo and Pinky inside.

Humboldt follows, with Terence and Ageless.

It occurs to Humboldt as they walk down the track to the sound of waves sloshing, that no one has checked on the tide times.


No comments: