Thursday, October 4, 2018

In It, Smiling

In the torchlight, they look at the photo.

Note the inter-nasal scales, says Gaius.

Indeed, says Humboldt.

Where? asks Terence.

Yes, wipe your nose at once, says Humboldt. Use my hanky.

Terence wipes his nose with the hanky.

But Humboldt is laughing at Terence.

It was a joke. The snakes have the nose scales.

Terence scowls. He knew he didn't have nose scales.

Let me see the photo, says the new bandy bandy.

Gaius shows him the photo.

Now you own my soul, says the new bandy bandy.

Nonsense, says Gaius. It's a very good photo. And I have an idea. How do you feel about being part of a translocation project?

Is there one? asks Humboldt.

Not yet, says Gaius. But we were successful in Ecuador with the Riobamban tree frogs.

Hm, yes, says Humboldt. At least, partly successful. Some of them became mutants.

Think positive, says Gaius. My idea is to use this photo to crowd-fund a project.

Yay! says Terence. And I'm in it, smiling.

Yes, says Gaius. People will relate to you smiling. And support the project.

Can we take it again? asks the new bandy bandy. I wasn't smiling.

Nor was I, says the other one.

You bandies shouldn't be smiling, says Gaius. You are the ones who are being crowd-funded.

Not me, says the other bandy bandy. I'm a vermicella annulata. I'm quite common.

Only me, says the new bandy bandy.

Take a new photo, says Terence. With him and me in it.

No need, says Gaius. This is the money shot. I'm sure Arthur will know how to spin it.

Arthur? says Humboldt.

Yes, Arthur, says Gaius. You surely didn't think I knew all the ins and outs of crowd-funding?

Of course not, says Humboldt. But I'm impressed with your knowledge of money shots and who should and shouldn't be smiling.

One either has a feel for these things or one doesn't, says Gaius.

Me too, says the new bandy bandy. Are you going soon? It's nearly my bedtime.

But we only just met, says the other bandy bandy. Come back with us to Weipa. You can sleep with me in my plum scented container. And meet Kobo and Pinky. I used to sleep inside Pinky, with my tail poking out from her finger. That hole's closed up now. But she is still a great beauty.

Wow! says the new bandy bandy. I love her. Okay I'll come.

Splendid! says Gaius.

They plod back to the tinnies.

No comments: