Thursday, January 24, 2019

Sorrows In Common

Gaius goes home for his vacuum cleaner, pleased to be helpful.

The others remain in the office, discussing the play.

Is anyone here good at French? asks Celia.

Belle takes her aside, before Vello can say something withering.

We all are, says Belle. Except Sweezus, he isn't. And Gaius, but Gaius has gone. And Terence.

That's why I asked, says Celia.

What do you want to know? asks Belle. Ask me.

About my character, says Celia. Brother Giroflée. I thought he was a bird. Not a carpenter.

That's only at the end, says Belle. He's a monk, really.

A monk, says Celia. A good one?

No, a dissatisfied one, says Belle.

So why has he got a bird name? asks Celia.

Giroflée means wallflower, says Belle.

Oh, says Celia. Pardon my French. What colour are wallflowers?

Yellow and red, says Belle. So you have that advantage.

Okay, says Celia. I think I can do it. As long as someone else crushes Terence.

He may not need crushing says Belle. It's still a work in progress.

All right, are we? asks Vello. We have our Brother Giroflée? Who'll play Paquette?

Is SHE a bird? whispers Celia.

No, whispers Belle. A former maid, forced into prostitution. Giroflée's girlfriend.

MY girlfriend? says Celia. Won't it look silly?

What's she saying? asks Vello.

That Paquette should be played by a bird, says Belle. She's right really.

A bird? Who knows a bird? asks Vello.

Sweezus and David stop discussing the theory of involuntary attention, as it pertains to gardens.

Terence, says Sweezus.

Terence looks up from trying to detach his orange hair and eyebrows from his hat.

Stink bugs don't wear hats.

What?

Know any more birds? asks Sweezus. You should, you've had plenty.

Saint Roley, says Terence. But I don't know where he is.

Oh! cries Celia. You told me about Saint Roley!  He and I have sorrows in common. I had hoped to meet him.

Yeah, well, says Sweezus. I'll call Gaius. He might know.

He calls Gaius.

Gaius has his head in the cupboard with the finely balanced ironing board collapsing as he tries to pull out his wedged-in vacuum cleaner.

Ring ring!

Drat! he says crossly. They would call just now.

Want me to get it? asks Saint Roley.

Yes, please. It might be Arthur, says Gaius.

Saint Roley presses the green icon.

Hello?


No comments: