Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Sure Means NOT

The Gypsy Moth lands at the end of the airstrip.

Tom MacDonald climbs out.

Ah! says Humboldt. He might take some of us back to Cairns. Let's ask him.

Good day, says Tom MacDonald. Don't I I know you?

You gave me a lift here a few months ago, says Humboldt. We flew over the reef, to see how it was faring.

Sure I remember! says Tom MacDonald. You had that fossilised clam with you. Kobo. Yeah. We swooped down and saw a Rangerbot. Ha ha! And she fell in love with it.

Ach! Is Ageless listening?

No, luckily. He has gone into the terminal with Sweezus and Arthur to try and wangle some last minute tickets.

Rangerbot! squeaks Pinky. You fell in love with a Rangerbot?

Yes and no, says Kobo. It was more of a fantasy. Rangerbots are so handsome.

O are they? says Pinky.

She has no idea what a Rangerbot looks like. She imagines dark eyes and stiff fingers. Pink. One shade deeper than she is.

Not yellow, the standard colour.

Sweezus comes out of the terminal with good news. Arthur has qualified for two compassionate tickets, due to his delirium.

Yeah, says Sweezus. That's me and Arthur sorted. And we can take Terence if he goes in an overhead locker.

I'm not going in an overhead locker, says Terence. I went in one before.

No you didn't, says Sweezus.

How would you like a ride in my Gypsy Moth? asks Tom MacDonald.

Yay! says Terence. And my parrot?

I'd prefer an overhead locker, says Celia.

Don't suppose you could take Gaius and me? says Humboldt. And our lobster with his small entourage.

One adult and one infant, and the lobster, says Tom. Best I can do. But I could come back for the others.

You go, says Humboldt to Gaius. I've already had the pleasure.

If you're sure, says Gaius.

Least I can do, says Humboldt. I'll stay here and watch the weather, with Celia, Blue Claw, Kobo and Pinky.

Sweezus and Arthur head for their plane, which is boarding.

Gaius, Terence and Ageless wait for Tom MacDonald to refuel, and go to the toilet.

Humboldt sits on a seat with Celia and the plum box beside him, and Terence's pot.

Goodbye Celia, says Terence.

Goodbye, says Celia. I'm sure we'll meet again.

That means you're NOT! says Terence.

No it doesn't, says Celia.

Yes it DOES! says Terence. It's like when Belle says I'm sure you'll win next time.

Who is Belle? asks Celia.

She takes me to bike races, says Terence.

And do you win next time? asks Celia. I probably shouldn't be asking.

Not ME! says Terence. Sweezus. She tells him she's sure he'll win next time. And he doesn't.

It's not the same, says Celia. Here comes Tom MacDonald. You're going. Have a good flight. Keep an eye out for Rangerbots!

Rangerbots! What are they? cries Ageless. Are we in danger?

No no, says Gaius. They are robotic creatures patrolling the reef to kill crown of thorns starfish, Tom told us a comical story....


No comments: