Thursday, March 18, 2021

Little Jealous Flame

Gaius and Kierkegaard are eating sardines on toast.

Gaius looks at the kitchen clock. 

I trust Ageless and Captain Baudin will return soon, says Gaius.

Can we contact them? asks Kierkegaard.

No, says Gaius. But wait, yes, Kobo has her own means of connection.

Ask her then, says Kierkegaard. 

Gaius goes across to the window sill where Kobo is resting, in her loosened blue sash.

Kobo, says Gaius. 

Mmm, says Kobo. What? 

Are you in touch with Ageless? asks Gaius.

Often, says Kobo.

Good, says Gaius. Ask him if he'll be back soon.

Kobo does the thing that she does. (It's like the internet, for crustaceans, ex-crustaceans and fossilised clams).

Ageless, where are you?

I'm on the bus beloved.

He's on the bus, says Kobo.

Is Baudin with him? asks Gaius.

Is Nicolas with you? asks Kobo.

He is, says Ageless. But he's not himself at the moment.

Why not? asks Kobo.

He feels misrepresented, says Ageless. 

So he looked himself up, says Kobo. I warned him not to.

When, beloved? asks Ageless.

When I was helping him with his English, says Kobo.

Ageless has forgotten that Kobo helped Captain Baudin with his English.

A little jealous flame re-arises.

Where are you now? asks Ageless.

On the widow sill, says Kobo. Reading feminist literature.

What are you wearing? asks Ageless.

You know very well what I'm wearing, says Kobo. The loosened blue sash.

crick,,,,crick,,,,, says Ageless. If only I were in a taxi, or an Uber.

Then what? asks Kobo.

I'd ask the driver to go faster so I could see you all the sooner, says Ageless. As it is, you can't really hurry the bus. But oh,,,,crick,,,,crick,,,,,ahh!

He's coming, says Kobo. They'll both be here shortly.

Good, says Gaius. I'll leave the front door open.

Front door will be open, says Kobo.

I'll be delighted to enter, says Ageless.


No comments: