Saturday, June 11, 2022

Black Day Black Night

Roo-kai appears in the doorway.

Where have you been? asks Terence.

Loitering in the kitchen, says Roo-kai.

We lost the knowlesi, says Terence.

I know, says Roo-kai. He went past the kitchen.

Why didn't you stop him? asks Gaius.

It was not for me to stop him, says Roo-kai. He'd have had his reasons.

His life was in danger, says Quiet-Tartus.

No it wasn't, says Gaius. But he may have thought so.

I'll go and look for him, says Roo-kai.

He's in the camper, says Arthur. The door isn't locked.

It may not even be closed, says Katherine.

I can probably slide it, says Roo-kai.

Can I go with Roo-kai? asks Terence.

Yes, says Gaius. If you see the knowlesi, tell it there's nothing to fear.

Nothing to fear, says Terence.

He goes down the stairs with his parrot.

They exit the building. 

The camper is parked nearby, the door is ajar.

As though someone has closed it with such a hard push it has rebounded.

Roo-kai pushes the door futher open.

He and Terence enter the camper.

Knowlesi! whispers Terence.

What? whispers the knowlesi.

You have nothing to fear, says Terence.

What does that mean? asks the knowlesi.

Sweezus won't cut you up, says Terence. That was in the olden days. Now girls do it.

Letitia! says the knowlesi.

Are you sure he said that? asks Roo-kai.

Yes, says Terence. 

How did you know I was here? asks the knowlesi.

Arthur told us, says Terence.

Right! I'm off, says the knowlesi. 

It hops to the door.

Leap. Bop. Straight into Gaius.

Dear me! says Gaius. Are you all right?

Yes, says the knowlesi. But it was a black day when I met all you people.

A black night, says Gaius. But you didn't mean that.

No I didn't, says the knowlesi. Anyway I was just leaving.

Stay, says Gaius. A plan has been devised for your safety,.

Yay! says Terence. I told you!

What is it? asks the knowlesi.

Sweezus and Arthur will be taking the Mazda back to Adelaide, says Gaius. They need to get their bicycles in order, for the Tour. Ludwig and I will be taking take the camper further up the coast, looking for gobies. You are welcome to come with us. We'll tell Letitia you died.

Is that right? asks Roo-kai.

That's the short version, says Gaius. 

I mean morally, says Roo-kai. And what about science?

Let us leave the decision to the knowlesi, says Gaius. 

The knowlesi likes the idea of telling Letitia he died.


No comments: