Sunday, June 19, 2022

Brainwave!

 Katherine scrapes the remains of the baked emu into the compost bin.

It was not wholly successful.

She wonders if David would have liked it.

Oh yes. She was going to call David.

Ring a ding.

Hello mother, says David. How is Queensland?

It's stopped raining, says Katherine.

That's a plus, says David. 

Yes, says Katherine. Raining one day, not raining the next. When do you leave for Copenhagen?

Next week, says David. I don't suppose you'd consider coming?

You've never asked me before, says Katherine.

I'm sure I must have, says David. 

Well, that's a plus, says Katherine. What's up? Is Belle not going?

How did you know? asks David. 

Logic, says Katherine. No Belle, no one to give out the drinks and musettes, and organise the picnics. Brainwave! Why not ask mother!

You called me, remember? says David.

Oh yes, says Katherine. I wanted to ask if you knew whether Baby Pierre was going.

That little so and so, says David. I hope not.

Well, Terence is hoping he's going, says Katherine.

Why? Is Terence going? asks David.

No. He'll be with Gaius and Ludwig, looking for gobies, says Katherine.

In the water? asks David.

I've volunteered to stay in the boat with him, says Katherine.

Then you could just as well come to Copenhagen, says David. And bring Terence. 

That's generous of you, says Katherine. I assume you'll be paying.

Do you? says David. Well, all right. If he doesn't cost extra.

He does if he has a seat, says Katherine.

We'll discuss all that later, says David. And thank you, mother. Would you like me to find out about Baby Pierre?

Yes please, says Katherine. Tell him Terence is sending a frog team over, with Sweezus and Arthur. 

That sounds rather fishy, says David.

Look on the bright side, says Katherine. 

I would, says David. If I knew what it was.


No comments: