Monday, June 20, 2022

Frog Cycling Glory

Katherine returns to the room.

Letitia is there to pick up the knowlesi.

Terence is explaining that the knowlesi has died.

He died, says Terence. In the Japanese garden.

He looked so well, says Letitia.

Maybe a bird ate him, says Terence.

Perhaps a swan, suggests Gaius. Swans have been known to eat them.

So you don't know, says Letitia. Which means you didn't see it.

Only when it was dead, says Terence. 

What did you do when you saw it was dead? asks Letitia.

Made it a poem, says Terence.

A frog has died
We buried it in the Japanese garden
He's not going anywhere.

I don't believe you, says Letitia. If a swan ate the knowlesi, there would have been nothing to bury.

Terence tries to think of an answer,

But he doesn't have to.

It's only his usual dead animal poem, says Katherine. And in fact I have good news. The knowlesi is on his way to Copenhagen.

Woohoo! says Terence.

And so am I, says Katherine. 

Dead? asks Letitia.

What? says Katherine.

The knowlesi, says Letitia.

No, alive, says Katherine. The knowlesi is planning to form a team with Baby Pierre and the Tarti.

Or just the Tarti, says Gaius. Baby Pierre likes to go solo.

So you knew! says Letitia. You guys didn't have to pretend that the knowlesi had died.

We thought you'd prefer it, says Gaius.

Scientists never prefer to be lied to, says Letitia.

Apologies, says Gaius. 

That's okay, says Letitia. So I guess now you'll be moving into the camper.

We will, says Gaius. We shall head north to Townsville. But it seems Katherine will be leaving for Denmark.

What about me? asks Terence.

Would you like to come with me? asks Katherine. 

Would I! says Terence. Yay! I can't wait to tell the frogs I'm their manager!

You'll be too busy helping me, says Katherine.

But Terence is already dreaming of frog cycling glory.


No comments: