Friday, June 24, 2022

I Must Seize Him

Four o'clock. The plane lands in Adelaide.

The pilot was right. It is raining.

Goodbye, says Katherine's neighbour. And good luck for your son in the Tour.

He will need it, says Katherine. Come on Terence. You'll have to carry Roo-kai.

Okay, says Terence. If he'll let me. 

I'll let you, says Roo-kai.

By the neck? asks Terence.

By the belly, says Roo-kai.

Terence picks Roo-kai up by the belly.

The passengers start shuffling forward, towards the door.

Katherine is behind Terence, with her luggage.

At the door is a policeman.

Sorry, little boy, says the flight attendant. I had to do it.This police officer wants to examine your parrot.

It doesn't look like a parrot, says the police officer. But I am not surprised. This boy looks like Terence.

Victor! says Katherine. It is Terence! And you know Roo-kai.

I'm afraid I must seize him, says Victor.

Yes, hurry up and seize him! mutters a man behind Katherine.

Ridiculous! says Katherine. All right Victor. We'll pick him up later, after you've determined that he is a toy.

That seems unlikely, says Victor, seizing Roo-kai by the belly.

You know what I am, says Roo-kai. 

He's got a medal, says Terence.

Then he must produce it, says Victor. 

I've got it, says Terence. Somewhere.

Just go, says Katherine. You're holding everyone up. 

Victor tucks Roo-kai under his arm, and heads down the gangway, out of the airport and into his van.

Sorry about this, says Victor. But justice must be seen to be done.

That's okay, says Roo-kai. Can I go now?

No, we'll do this properly, says Victor. You can go when Terence produces the medal.

But the medal won't prove I'm a toy, says Roo-kai.

If you're not a toy, says Victor, a number of rules have been broken. And fines must be paid. You may be deported. What is your country of origin?

France, says Roo-kai. You know that. Anyway, it would suit me to be deported, because that's where I'm going.

Victor sighs. Why is nothing straightforward?


No comments: