Friday, September 9, 2022

I Wanted Wholeness

I'd like to swap the gift of speech for the gift of writing, says the half carrot.

Are you sure? asks Saint Maclou.

Would I get my own pencil? asks the half carrot.

Of course, says Saint Maclou. And a small pad of paper.

Are you quite determined? asks Saint Méen.

Yes, says the half carrot.

The saints take off their beanies again.

Buzz. Buzz.

The gift of speech is cancelled and the gift of writing is given.

Now what? says Terence.

The carrot can now write, says Saint Méen. Give it a pencil.

You're meant to give it a pencil, says Terence.

I might have a pencil, says Belle. No, I don't. But hey, I've still got Nico's pen!

Give it to the carrot, says Saint Méen.

Belle hesitates. How do you give a pen to a half carrot? 

Why do you hesitate? asks Saint Méen.

How will it hold it? asks Belle.

Offer the pen to the carrot, says Saint Maclou.

Belle offers Nico's good pen from the Musée des Beaux Arts to the carrot.

The carrot puts out a thin hairy tendril, and grasps Nico's pen.

Wow! says Belle. That's a strong hairy tendril!

The saints beam.

Now how about some paper? says Saint Méen. Maclou, where's that pad you mentioned?

Maclou feels in his trouser pocket, for a note pad he thinks that he has.

Curses, says Maclou. I don't have it.

I'll get some paper, says Belle. I'll go into that building behind us.

That's the MuMa, says Saint Méen. Good idea. 

Belle goes off to the MuMa. 

Everyone else remains with the carrot, and its pen.

I've finished your hole, says Quiet-tartus.

What hole? thinks the carrot. O that hole. A misunderstanding. What I wanted was wholeness. Why did I not persist in that request? Now I'm stuck with a pen I can hardly lift, and no paper. But wait. The frog has left a pile of dirt at the side of the hole. If I smooth it out, I could write in it.

The carrot rolls across to the dirt at the edge of the hole. 

It wants to go in! cries Terence. And then it'll grow!

He pushes the carrot into the hole and presses dirt all around it.

Buzz! The saints are not pleased.


No comments: