Saturday, September 24, 2022

Irritations And More

They have now reached Jullouville.

Look back, says Jeanne Jugan. There's a view of Mont Saint Michel bay.

Sure enough, there is a view of it. 

Are we in a hurry? asks Jeanne Jugan. 

Not at all, says Pierre-Louis. Shall we stop for a break?

Why not? says Jeanne Jugan. 

Arthur wants to keep going. 

But not with them. 

Okay, says Arthur. You go down to the beach while I find a chemist.

For plasters? says Jeanne Jugan. No need, I have some.

What about ointment? says Arthur.

Let me see, says Jeanne Jugan. Yes, I have some creme pour irritations de la peau. It contains herbal ingredients.

What's its use-by date? asks Arthur.

She looks. Oh dear. Two thousand and seven.

Normally Arthur would not care that a creme pour irritations was due to expire in two thousand and seven. He would not use it, in any case.

But he appears to care today.

I'll see you later, says Arthur. If you get bored, go on without me. I'll catch up.

He heads off in the direction of a row of small shops.

He seems keen to have fresh creme, says Jeanne Jugan.

Yes, says Pierre-Louis. How can creme pour irritations go off?

Would you like to find out? asks Jeanne Jugan.

No, .....oh.....why not? says Pierre-Louis.

They wheel their bicycles down to la plage.

They sit on the white sand.

In the water, people are kite surfing, skimboarding, funboarding, swimming and sailing

Jeanne Jugan gets her creme out.

Pierre-Louis extends his right knee.

She rubs some creme on.

It turns red, but that is quite natural.

He takes out an old fashioned handkerchief, and wipes the red creme off.

Start again, says Pierre-Louis.

She rubs some more creme on, and puts on a plaster.

Now the other knee.

They lie back, enjoying the sun.

Why are you travelling with Arthur to pick up some frogs? asks Jeanne Jugan.

It is not for the frogs, says Pierre-Louis. It's to meet Belle, Vello's daughter.

For noble reasons, I hope, says Jeanne Jugan.

Certainly, says Pierre-Louis. I merely wish to learn more about what Vello is doing. 

Careful what you wish for, says Jeanne Jugan. What if you learn that he is a highly sought-after speaker on the international circuit?

What? says Pierre-Louis. If he is, I think I would know it!

Just an example, says Jeann Jugan. He probably isn't.

What about you? asks Pierre-Louis. 

I remember Belle, says Jeanne Jugan. And she is travelling with Terence. I should like to meet Terence and see how he is progressing.

The baby Jesus look-alike? says Pierre-Louis.

Yes, says Jeanne Jugan. I last met him five years ago. He'll be more mature now.

Right, says Pierre-Louis. But isn't he a statue?

Even then, he was learning to map-read, says Jeanne Jugan.

(It's possible she remembers it wrong).


No comments: