Monday, October 10, 2022

Goodbye Deadly Fungus

Arthur has reached Jullouville, and found a café.

Le Bistrot Armand.

He orders an espresso.

He looks at the menu.

Moules marinière, burger Armand?

His phone rings.

It's Gaius.

Arthur, is that you?

Who else? says Arthur. 

On your way home yet? asks Gaius.

Not yet, says Arthur. I'm in Jullouville.

With the frogs, I assume? says Gaius. 

Not exactly, says Arthur. They were in my pocket but...

Jumping Jupiter! says Gaius. You lost them!

No, says Arthur. They're in a first aid kit. Remember Jeanne Jugan?

Yes I do, says Gaius. A fine woman. Ex nun. With a bicycle covered in cobwebs. 

That's her, says Arthur. 

Wonderful, says Gaius. But why does she have them?

It's only temporary, says Arthur. I'll be getting them back. 

When? asks Gaius.

As soon as she gets here, says Arthur. We're having lunch in a café.

Very well, says Gaius. By the way, excellent news. You know that deadly fungus?

I've probably had it, says Arthur.

Ha ha! laughs Gaius. I mean the amphibian chytrid fungus.

The one that frogs die of, says Arthur

Yes that one, says Gaius. Well, the good news is, that Fleay's barred frogs have been fighting it off! It seems that over time they have developed a natural immune response to the fungus.

Why tell me? asks Arthur.

Are you eating? asks Gaius.

Not yet, says Arthur. I'm thinking of ordering moules marinière.

Then why shouldn't I tell you? says Gaius. I thought the news would bolster Quiet-tartus and the knowlesi.

It might, says Arthur. 

Goodbye then. See you soon, says Gaius. Wait! Are you all right for money?

 I've got 24 euros, says Arthur. 

Is that all? says Gaius.

And my plane ticket, says Arthur.

Good man, says Gaius. 

The call ends.

Gaius wonders if Arthur will order moules marinière.

Arthur wonders why he didn't ask for more money


No comments: