Friday, October 28, 2022

The Charmed Life

Pierre-Louis calls Arthur.

What is it? says Arthur.

It's me, says Pierre-Louis. Are you in a café?

Yes, says Arthur. It's crazy in here.

How would you like to come over to the saints' cottage for sweet potato pie? asks Pierre Louis.

Okay, says Arthur. 

Bring some sugar, says Pierre-Louis.

Arthur looks around for the sugar.

There must be some somewhere. For the coffee.

But no.

He goes up to the bar.

Are you leaving? asks the barman. That's eighty four euros you owe me.

Where's the sugar? asks Arthur.

Not here, says the barman. On the tables. Why, are you wanting a coffee?

No, says Arthur. I want it for a sweet potato pie.

A sweet potato pie should not need sugar, says the barman. Where is this pie?

At Saint Méen and Saint Maclou's cottage, says Arthur. I just got invited to eat it.

Alors! says the barman. I love those two saints! Let me give you some sugar.

Thanks, says Arthur.

The barman heads across to an empty table and picks up a glass jar which contains paper sachets of various types of sugar (white, raw and Equal).

He gives it to Arthur.

Watch out, says the barman. Some of them are not proper sugar.

Okay, says Arthur.

And give my regards to the saints, says the barman. Tell them I'm still hoping.

What for? asks arthur.

The gift of speech, says the barman.

You've already got it, says Arthur.

Not for me, says the barman. For my poupeés.

The dolls and puppets, hanging from the ceiling in various poses, turn their mouths down.

I'll tell them, says Arthur. Thanks for the sugar.

Will the barman remember he is owed eighty four euros?

No, he does not. Or he has waived it. 

So Arthur leaves with the sugar.

And arrives at the saints' cottage in time for the pie.


No comments: