Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Hat Under Helmet

So it's back to Saint Malo.

Belle and Jeanne Jugan are cycling side by side.

It's so nice to see you again, says Jeanne Jugan. 

And you, says Belle. What have you been up to?

I've taken up gardening, says Jeanne Jugan. 

I'd love to see your garden, says Belle. Do you grow flowers?

O yes, says Jeanne Jugan. Hydrangeas. 

Lovely, says Belle.

Any carrots? asks Terence.

No, says Jeanne Jugan. Potatoes.

The saints grow potatoes, says Belle. 

Potatoes are easy, says Jeanne Jugan.

I'm getting a ride on a pony, says Terence.

The saints don't have a pony, says Jeanne Jugan.

Their neighbour's pony, says Belle. Someone called Madame Ponty.

THAT pony! says Jeanne Jugan.

What about it? asks Belle. Is it a handful?

You'll see, says Jeanne Jugan. Make sure Terence is wearing a helmet.

Can I have yours? asks Terence. 

Too big, says Jeanne Jugan.

What if I borrow Pierre-Louis's hat? asks Terence.

It's not a helmet, says Jeanne Jugan. 

Under your helmet, says Terence. The hat would fill in the spaces.

Jeanne Jugan and Belle both imagine what Terence would look like in a Lapland type hat under Jeanne's yellow-eyed helmet.

I think we can do better, says Belle.

Did I hear someone mention my hat? asks Pierre-Louis, drawing level.

Jeanne Jugan drops back.

Three abreast is too many.

Terence was thinking of asking if he could borrow it, says Belle.

Any time, says Pierre-Louis.

Yay! says Terence. Now?

Not now, says Pierre-Louis.

That means you lied, says Terence. 

Any time I'm not using it, says Pierre-Louis.

You're not using it, says Terence.

I am, says Pierre-Louis. How does one use a hat but by wearing it?

That's what I'd be doing , says Terence.

Stop it, Terence, says Belle. Stop talking and look at the scenery.

Terence stops talking and looks at the scenery. 

Road: long and boring

Roadside: boring

Rocks: grey and brown

Sand: boring

Sea: a bad place in which carrots decompose and become one with the universe

Sky: a white cloud that looks like the head of a pony


No comments: