Wednesday, October 19, 2022

He Only Obeys Me

Jeanne Jugan is pedalling fast.

Terence is holding the moule bag, which the moules fell out of and are now back inside.

There is a split in the moule bag.

Terence looks in.

The moules are huddled together, covered in road dust and smelling so bad. 

Terence decides that Roo-kai may not want them.

Where is he anyway?

Can I throw these moules out? asks Terence.

No, says Jeanne Jugan. That would be a waste.

Just one, says Terence. Then Roo-kai might come after it.

I hadn't thought of that, says Jeanne Jugan. Just one then.

Terence chooses a moule that looks super dirty and throws it.

Boing bounce!

Roo-kai appears out of nowhere.

Where were you? asks Terence.

Nowhere, says Roo-kai.

I found a beetle, says Terence. 

I know, says Roo-kai. 

So you weren't nowhere, says Jeanne Jugan. You must have seen me picking up moules from the road.

Why? asks Roo-kai.

If you know about the beetle, says Jeanne Jugan.

I was watching Terence, says Roo-kai. Not you.

It didn't want to come with me, says Terence.

It was probably busy, says Roo-kai.

It was, says Terence. Waiting to get cold.

Jeanne Jugan keeps pedalling. 

I threw out one of the moules, says Terence.

You threw them all out, says Roo-kai. And then got them back.

That was an accident, says Terence. The second time was on purpose.

As you see, says Roo-kai, I didn't want it.

Do you want these ones? asks Terence.

No thanks, says Roo-kai. In Cancale, I'll find some fresh oysters.

Perhaps that is wise, says Jeanne Jugan. We'll get rid of the moules when we go past a bin.

How long will that be? asks Terence. I've got to hold them.

Not far, says Jeanne Jugan. There's Cancale in the distance.

I'll fly ahead and look for a bin, says Roo-kai.

Take the moules with you, says Jeanne Jugan.

But too late. Roo-kai has gone.

He only obeys me, says Terence.

Jeanne Jugan tries to recall an example of that.


No comments: