Saturday, October 1, 2022

Radiation What Radiation?

Belle returns, having found a pharmacy on Rte de Dielette.

Here, says Belle. These are kids' ones. 

She hands the packet to Saint Méen. 

The frogs will like these, says Saint Méen.

He opens the packet, pulls out a few plasters.

Choose your plaster, says Saint Méen.

Let me see! says Terence. They're my frogs, so I get to choose.

The plasters have monster faces and open mouths with alarmed ejaculations in speech bubbles.

Terence chooses a green one, going Eek!, and an orange one, going Argh!

What am I getting? mutters the knowlesi. 

The orange one, says Terence. What does it say?

Argh! says Belle. Cool, isn't it? It's what someone says when they get injured.

It's not what I say, says Terence.

Who cares what you say? says the knowlesi. Put it on me before it's too late.

Saint Méen starts unwrapping the plaster.

Give me the green one, says Saint Maclou. 

But first, Quiet-tartus wants to see it.

What colour am I? asks Quiet-tartus.

Light brown, says Saint Maclou. 

So why do I get a green one? asks Quiet-tartus.

Because I picked it, says Terence. And there's no light brown one.

But there's an orange one! says Quiet-tartus. 

I've got the orange one, says the knowlesi.

He sounds perky.

The knowlesi is cured!

 He stands up and hops gingerly.

Yes! Everything stays in!

There's another orange one in the packet, says Belle.

Let me have it, says Quiet-tartus. 

Okay, says Terence.

What a waste of the green one, says Saint Maclou.

I'll have it, says Terence. My claw's coming loose.

I doubt that, says Belle. It's stuck on with Gaius's fish glue.

It IS! says Terence, wiggling it hopefully.

Hold still, says Saint Maclou.

He wraps the green plaster around Terence 's claw (which once belonged to Baby-BB, the baby bristlebird).

Quiet-tartus stands up. Hops gently. 

Hops vigorously. 

Hops fast.

Excellent work, Maclou, says Saint Méen.

Likewise, Méen, says Saint Maclou. And none too soon! After all we're in Flamanville. I feel my halo buzzing.

Me too, says Saint Méen. It'll be the radiation.

Radiation? What radiation? asks Belle.


No comments: