Saturday, August 5, 2023

Nothing Is Perfect

You'd better go now, says Monique.

That was short, says Terence.

You can have dad's seat next time he goes to the toilet, says Monique.

Every time? asks Terence.

Every time, says Monique.

I don't expect to go all that often, says Monique's dad. There's always a queue.

Okay, says Terence. I'll ask some more people.

He jumps down from Monique's dad's seat and crosses the aisle.

It's not far.

No, don't! says Monique's father.

Too late. 

Terence has tapped on the shoulder of a person wearing headphones.

Huh-what? says the person, taking them off. 

Do you need to....begins Terence.

Then even he realises the question sounds rude. 

Next time you go to the toilet, says Terence, can I sit in your seat while you go?

What the fuck? asks the person.

Hey! says the person's neighbour, his girlfriend. Language! That's a kid you're talking to.

Yeah, says the person. Asking me if he can have my seat when I go to the toilet.

How come? asks the girlfriend.

How do I know? says headphones guy.

Don't worry, says Terence. I'll ask someone else.

No wait, says the girlfriend. Is it because you want to sit near that little girl?

Yes, says Terence. She's going to help me join wheels to my shoes.

How cute! says the girlfriend. Tell you what. I need to go to the toilet. You can have my seat while I'm away.

And mine, say one or two other people.

This is great.

Yippee! says Terence.

The girlfriend stands up.

Shit! says headphones guy. The drink trolley's coming. Do you have to go right now?

Swap seats with me, says the girlfriend. Then the kid can have your seat and talk to his friend about the wheels thing, and when I come back I won't have to get you to lift up your tray so that I can go past you.

Sheez! says headphones guy. O-friggin-kay.

She stands up. Headphones guy moves over. 

Terence is now in the aisle seat opposite Monique.

Monique's dad actually. 

Nothing is perfect.


No comments: