Thursday, August 24, 2023

Why Penguin Pie

Come down, says Terence.

Roo-kai does not move.

You can help me choose my new shorts, says Terence.

What about me? asks Waca.

You can't, says Terence.

Roo-kai is tempted to ask a question.

Like: What does that mean? 

But Katherine has jumped in.

I'll help you, says Katherine. 

Roo-kai knows more about shorts, says Terence.

Does he? says Katherine. I fail to see how an oystercatcher would know much about shorts.

He's lower, says Terence. He can see what they look like.

I can see what they look like, says Waca.

Roo-kai wonders where this is going.

What do they look like? asks Terence.

Waca is stumped. How does he know what the new shorts will look like?

Roo-kai sees his chance.

Parrots, says Roo-kai.

You win, says Terence. 

Are we ready to go to the Kmart? asks Katherine. 

Yes, says Terence.

Yes, says Roo-kai.

He flutters gracefully down from the street tree.

Get in then, says Katherine. Coming David?

I'd better stay and help Vello clear up this business with Camus, says David.

Suit yourself, says Katherine. 

Terence and Roo-kai (and a disconsolate Waca) get into the back seat of Katherine's car.

She drives away, to the Kmart.

Vello has already climbed up the stairs to the office, with Sweezus.

On the way up, Sweezus has explained the problem with Camus's article.

No bike in it.

Then it's useless, says Vello. Why didn't you tell him?

I was kind of intimidated, says Sweezus. And that's not the end of it.

What else? asks Vello.

Remember that thing with the penguin pie? asks Sweezus.

No, says Vello. Should I?

Must've been Gaius, says Sweezus. Anyway, the penguin pie's in it.

They arrive at the door to the office.

Belle is entertaining Camus, with macarons.

Albert! says Vello. How long is it?

A few paragraphs, says Camus.

I mean since I asked you to write it, says Vello. Time has moved on.

That's why it's even more relevant, says Camus. I have cut out the bicycle.

Unfortunately, says Vello, that rules you out, unless you're willing to write it back in.

David enters, having climbed up the stairs in a hurry.

He takes a macaron. 

Fill me in, says David.

Camus takes a macaron.

Sweezus, seeing the macarons disappearing, takes two.

Vello takes the last one.

Everyone crunches, until at last there is silence.

Camus then explains why he cut out the bicycle.

And why he put the penguin pie in.


No comments: