Monday, August 21, 2023

Saving The Map Of Nearby

I feel weird, says Terence.

Probably the curdles, says Waca.

There weren't any curdles, says Terence.

There might be now, says Waca.

What's up? asks Gaius, looking down.

Terence feels weird, says Waca.

Squeeze in next to me, says Gaius. I've finished my breakfast.

He stows his tray.

Terence climbs up and squeezes in beside Gaius.

We'll be landing soon, says Gaius. 

Then what? asks Terence.

Back to normal, says Gaius. We'll go back to my house, see what's what, and then head out to Winaityinaiyti Pankara, if I have pronounced it correctly.

Where? asks Pierre-Louis, I thought it was somewhere nearby?

It is nearby, says Gaius. West of Gawler and Two Wells 

Useful, if I knew where they were, says Pierre-Louis.

I'll show you a map, says Gaius.

He has been sitting on his notes about the orange-bellied parrot, to keep them clear of his breakfast.

He pulls them out now.

Curses, says Gaius. The parrot illustration is missing. What did you do with it Terence?

I still feel weird, says Terence.

He does. Gassy and buoyant. Something inside him is rising.

Never mind, I'll obtain another one, says Gaius. Take some deep breaths. Aha! Here's the map of Winaityinaiyti Pankara.

Adelaide International Bird Sanctuary National Park, reads Pierre-Louis. I can see why you prefer to call it Winaityinaiyti Pankara. Much more snappy.

He takes the map. Just in time to rescue it from the fate of bulk of the notes.

Blurrrk! Blaark! Pluh!

Out comes the orange juice curdled with yogurt and soft lumps of strawberry.

Terence! says Gaius. What is this?

A bad curdle, says Terence. Waca was right.

I have a hankerchief, says David.

So have I, says Vello.

They pass them along.

Gaius wipes what he can from his papers.

Sorry, says Terence. 

Never mind, says Gaius. Now I'll go and clean up my trousers.

He joins the long queue for the toilets.

At least the map is clean, says Pierre-Louis.

So it is, says David. That's all you need really. Except for a picture of your quarry. What is it, some  sort of parrot?

The orange-bellied, says Pierre-Louis. I'd show you, but Gaius has mislaid the picture.

Dear me, says David. That's a bad start.

What's a bad start? asks Vello.

Wah! cries Terence. More's coming.

Bluuurt!

But luckily, Pierre-Louis has anticipated the torrent, and raised the map out of danger.


No comments: