Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Stage 17: Chambéry to Voiron - Hats Off

A flat stage.

Mads Pedersen is planning to win it.

But so are some others.

The teams ride out from Chambéry.

They make their way up the Col de Basse.

For a flat stage, it's hilly.

David and Vello are grumbling.

I was led to believe it was flat, says David.

So was I, says Vello. It was classified as flat.

You guys should have looked at the profile, says Surfing-with-Whales.

We shouldn't have needed to look at the profile, says Vello.

Yeah well, says Surfing-with-Whales. There are four climbs before it flattens and a sprint near the end.

That is helpful, says Vello. And how did you do yesterday?

You should know, says Surfing-with-Whales.

That's why I'm asking, says Vello.

Middling, says Surfing-with-Whales.  Got the same time as Pablo.

So Pablo was middling as well, says David. 

Whereas we... begins Vello.

I know how you did, says Surfing-with-Whales. But hats off for trying.

I blame the rest day picnic, says David. We overindulged, and did no exercise whatsoever.

That's what rest days are for, says Vello. Why didn't you come to the picnic?

I was testing the sprint course with Pablo, says Surfing-with-Whales. And he gave me some feedback.

Feedback? says Vello. On what?

My poem, says Surfing-with-Whales. Apparently I'm too hung up on one form.

The limerick! says David.

How'd you know? asks Surfing-with-Whales. 

Because your poem about Sweezus's sister was a limerick, says David. 

I didn't even know it WAS a limerick, says Surfing-with-Whales. Anyway. My next one's on hold.

What a pity, says Vello. Or perhaps a good thing. Now why don't you speed up and lead us up the next mountain.

No worries, says Surfing-with-Whales. Follow me.

If only it were that easy.

The Col des Prés is Cat 3, and bendy.

And how are the favourites going?

Breaking away, being reeled back, attacking, keeping their heads down, and so on.

Let's not bother with any more details. 

Does Mads Pedersen win?

No.

Who then?

Jasper Philipsen, followed by Mauro Schmid and Olav Kooij.

We've all heard of them.

No comments: