Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Your poem, though hastily conceived, has one admirable quality, boomed a voice.

Is that you, Pliny?

No, not Pliny. Alfred, Lord Tennyson is my name.

Oh, this is an honour! What were you saying about my poem?

I was about to make an encouraging remark regarding its subject and form.

Please do.

I was particularly struck by the way you ended each stanza with a long and non-rhythmical line that petered out unemphatically in a way suggestive of the water disappearing from the lake.

I'm thrilled you noticed.

I always notice such things these days. Ever since someone pointed out that I had used a similarly suggestive device in In Memoriam, the poem I wrote upon the death of my friend Arthur Hallam, and for which I am most famous.

Do you mean you hadn't realised you'd done it until it was pointed out?

My dear, this is just between us poets.

Thankyou, Alfred, I mean your Lordship.

No, you may call me Alfred.

Was there any thing else you liked about my poem, Alfred, since we're on the subject?

No, I am very sorry, but there wasn't. And I do think it might be better if it rhymed.

No comments: