Monday, March 9, 2009

Overlooking the Sea

Are you sure they didn't ride away on the bicycle? After all there was a bicycle propped up against the post outside the cafe.

Yes, I'm sure it was a motor bike. Even though I only saw it once.

Well, I don't suppose it matters, but I think they should have ridden off on the bicycle.

Perhaps it was someone else's bicycle. One of the motor boat girls, or someone who had come down to the cafe for a drink in the evening.

Where was the motor bike then?

I don't know. It could have been round the back. Stop asking me questions. I only started writing about my iGoogle theme because it reminded me of the view of the sea from the Somerton Surf Life Saving Club cafe on Sunday afternoon. Or rather the view reminded me of it. It was meant as a lead-in, but I got carried away.

Well it sounds like a lovely theme. That would be the life, eh? Sitting all day outside a cafe overlooking the sea. And on Sunday you...?

We found ourselves, after a climb up a ramp which nearly did for my mum, sitting outside a clifftop cafe overlooking the sea . We were eating icecreams and trying to keep them from melting, three of us, sitting on the same side of a small metal table under an umbrella that was angled all wrong. We were looking at the sea. It was flat and blue, but we were facing into the sun and there was a shimmering triangle of light like scribbles from a golden pencil floating mesmerisingly in front of our squinting eyes. A motor boat cut across the triangle from left to right, so far out that it made no sound. I imagined it full of waving girls.

No comments: