Monday, March 16, 2009

Some Questions

I have some questions for you, said Pliny the Elder, about your last 2 blogs.

What are they? I asked.

Firstly, was the purpose of your journey to Barossa Under the Stars to observe an entertainment upon a stage, or was it to observe the moon rising between pine trees at its appointed time?

Why do you ask? I should have thought it was obvious. One has no need of tickets to see the rising of the moon.

Then why, pursued Pliny, did you spend more time describing the moon rising than the entertainment by the man in the red suit with the long face and presumably his hair in some sort of a quiff? Did he fail to engage your interest ? What instrument did he play? What style of music, in what mode? Did he speak ? Was he at all amusing?

Oh yes, He was very good, he played the guitar in a very seductive manner and sang songs both sad and arousing and made a number of jokes.

And yet you allowed yourself to be seduced by the moon?

Now you are making me feel bad. I suppose it was because we had free tickets. Or perhaps it was because of the screen. I was looking at the real man on the stage. He was miniscule, like a little red pixie. I switched my attention to the screen, where he looked a lot bigger. On this screen you could see that he looked the same as he always had on the television. This was no doubt an illusion because the screen was also quite far away. Once you start thinking like that, your attention is all too ready to be diverted by something real and dramatic, like a moon. Does that answer all your questions?

No, it does not. That was only my first question.

No comments: