Monday, March 2, 2009

Cracks

Oh no we don't, I said to Pliny, ( 24 hours later ). I've just been looking up the origin of the name Livingstone and it has nothing to do with stones.

What has it to do with? asked Pliny, looking sceptical.

A place in West Lothian, the home of one Livingus, a Saxon, who moved there during the reign of king Edgar, 1097-1107.

So your father was named after him?

Oh no, my father was named after the redoubtable Dr Livingstone, who was thought to be lost in Africa for many years and was famously found by a journalist called Stanley, in Ujiji on the shore of Lake Tanganyika in 1871.

Alright, but you must still explain....

I hope you are not going to say the likeness?

No, no, I was going to say the proximity. The living stone creature being a native of South Australia, as we have seen.

You forget. I myself was not born here, but in England.

I see I shall have to consult the teachings of Pythagorus more deeply.

Go ahead. Meanwhile, would you like a piece of birthday cake? There is plenty left.

No thankyou. I find that there is too much icing in the cracks.

No comments: