Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pencil Pines

I can now attest that it would not have been any easier to describe with a pencil. Not for me anyway. And that is not because I am no good at drawing pine trees, although I am. The pine trees I am no good at drawing are Norfolk Island Pines. I can't help drawing the branches sloping down when in fact the branches of Norfolk Island Pines slope upwards. It is not very intuitive of the Norfolk Island Pines, I mean, what about gravity, however that is what they do. But in this case the pines were Pencil Pines, and these are very easy to draw with a pencil.

No, the problem was the moon. After 2 attempts to draw a moon rising from the midpoint of the lefthand side of the righthand Pencil Pine, I realised that my 88% moon had twice looked like a biscuit with a bite out of it. And it should not look like that, for an 88% moon looks shaved, not bitten into. But you try and draw a shaved moon next to a Pencil Pine. It looks just like a full moon only further over. And misrepresents the whole point of the thing.

No comments: