Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Second Question

What is your second question? I asked Pliny. And please make it short. I have things to do.

My question is not short, replied Pliny. You may need to think about your answer and I shall not mind if you do not reply immediately.

I bet it is about pine trees, I hazarded, hoping to stump him.

It is indeed about pine trees but further, it is about all trees. You appear to be suffering from a kind of delusion in regard to the direction in which the branches of trees generally grow. You give the impression that you think Norfolk Island Pines are unusual in having upward growing branches. Can this really be so? You seem to be claiming that they do this in defiance of gravity.
Would you like to explain your position?

That is 2 questions, I said sulkily. I know very well that tree branches generally grow upwards. I just think it's funny that's all. Our own legs and arms and hair all grow downwards. Anyhow, what I wrote was less to do with trees than with the difficulty of drawing them. I challenge you to sit down right now and draw me a pine tree.

You will regret this, said Pliny, looking for a pencil.

No comments: