Saturday, December 31, 2011

All One to a Fossilised Clam

Ageless turned up at seven, with pizza in a large cardboard box.

I thought you said chicken, said Kobo. And I thought you said six.

I did said Ageless, but they had run out of chickens, and then I had to run around everywhere looking for a decent alternative. I hope you like pizza, my dearest.

It is all one to me, said Kobo. I'm a fossilised clam. When are the fireworks?

Half past nine, said Ageless. We should get going.

We're coming too, said Lavender. Me and Baby Pierre.

No you're not, said Ageless. There's not enough food.

But Lavender was not the sort of person to take no for an answer. Soon the four of them were on the bus to Brighton.

It was hot in the bus and the pizza was smelly.

I'd better eat it, said Ageless. Before it goes off.

It was so unromantic. Kobo had tears in her eyes.

Here Aunty Kobo, have a hanky, said Lavender.

They got to the esplanade at twenty past nine. It was almost dark, but the sky above the horizon glowed amber. Children ran about on the remaining strip of beach wearing fluorescent pink and green necklaces, bangles and headbands. Some had strings of flashing lights wound about their bodies as well.

How beautiful, thought Kobo. Maybe the night will not be a dead loss after all.

Then the fireworks began....

No comments: