Sunday, December 4, 2011

Listening From Behind the Envelope

Baby Pierre strolled over to see Pierre, his mummy.

Hello, Baby Pierre, said his mummy. I see you've been talking to Kobo.

Don't you want to know where I've been? asked Baby Pierre.

I know where you've been, said Pierre. And neither I nor the Manifest Stone approve of you going on errands for Kobo. She's a non-believer, you know.

I'm a non believer as well, said Baby Pierre.

No you're not, said Pierre.

Yes I am, said Baby Pierre.

You shouldn't listen to her, said Pierre.

She's about to read Philosophical Crumbs, said Baby Pierre.

Whatever is that? said Pierre.

It's by Kierkegaard, said Baby Pierre.

A philosopher, said Pierre, dismissively. She's just showing off.

The Manifest Stone began to quiver and hum, and emitted a long high-pitched ommmmmmmm.

It's about whether it's reasonable to believe in a god, said Baby Pierre, or whether it's not. Kierkegaard says that because it's not reasonable, you need to make a leap into faith.

Really, said Pierre. Kobo's reading that? Perhaps she's converted. I must go and see her at once.

She hurried over to Kobo.

Kobo! she cried. Dearest sister! Are you making the leap into faith?

No, said Kobo. I reject Kierkegaard's philosophy. I am just reading him for the jokes.

Jokes! said Pierre. That is shocking!

He's witty said Kobo, and writes well. He's puzzling and surprising and makes me laugh. But he hasn't convinced me to take the leap of faith.

You lack courage, said Pierre. That is just like you. I see you haven't put in your new eyes yet. You probably never will.

Oh go away, Pierre, said Kobo. You're the one who is blind.

Lavender was listening to this most serious conversation from her place behind the envelope of seeds.

I am going to make a leap of faith! she said to herself. And I'm not going to tell ANYONE.

No comments: