Sunday, February 9, 2014

Entwined Like Blood Brothers

Olive Python is downstairs chatting with Unni.

Your dad's very kind, observes Olive.

Ha ha, says Unni. That's not it.

What then? asks Olive. Is he simple?

No, not that either, says Unni. Things used to be different round here. Before I met Arthur, and Sweezus..

I know Arthur and Sweezus, says Olive.

Yeah well, dad, says Unni, wasn't too happy with Sweezus. Thought he was shallow and that.

I suppose he is a bit shallow, says Olive. But harmless.

That's what dad thought, says Unni. Until Sweezus nicked money out of the collection box, to pay for a paddle.

Oh, says Olive. But isn't that what it was for?

For Sweezus? says Unni. No it wasn't.  It was for the unfortunate.

Okay, says Olive, but that doesn't explain....

Why dad's such a pussy? says Unni. Long story. Shh! Tell you later. They're coming downstairs.

Pastor Moon and Charles Red-belly come downstairs, entwined like blood brothers.

Might set off tonight, dear, says the pastor. I'm all packed.

Have dinner first, says Unni. It's vegan.

I eat frogs and small mammals, says Charles hopefully. And other sna....oops, forget I said that.

Olive looks at Charles Red-belly appraisingly. Other snakes eh?

I love frogs, says Unni. So frogs are off the menu. But if you two hungry serpents go outside I'm sure there'll be plenty of fruit bats.

Olive and Charles go outside and establish themselves on the verandah close to drooping branches of trees.

Whizz! there goes a fruit bat.

Darling, says Charles. You missed it!

So did you, says Olive.

Never mind, says Charles.

You can always eat me, I suppose you are thinking, says Olive.

Charles rubs his red belly against her and kisses her lips.

Whizz! Another fruit bat flits by, unnoticed.

.......

Inside, Unni is throwing together a nice vegan dinner and giving her dad final instructions.

Go via Wagga Wagga, that's the quickest, says Unni. And when you get to Adelaide, drop the snakes off at Katherine's. You remember Katherine? Katherine Hume?

Pastor Moon remembers Katherine as a combative virago.

Yes dear, says Pastor Moon. How could I forget Katherine?

He sighs. Pats his soft leather suitcase, with the rebellious articles inside.

Crucifix pencils. Lurid Jesus.

Courage, Moon!

Take care of my ex-congregation, he says to his daughter.

Dad! says Unni. They so love me.

Don't I know it, says Pastor Moon.


No comments: