Friday, February 21, 2014

Serene Universe

Next morning, Katherine is waiting for Gaius.

Gaius knocks on the door.

Come in, Gaius, says Katherine. I'm so glad you've come. Here they are, ready to go. Olive Python you know, and the black one is her companion Charles Red-belly. He's an afficionado of Charles Baudelaire. As is Olive.

Katherine, says Gaius, don't believe all that they tell you.

Indeed I do not, says Katherine. Poor Porky is proof of that maxim.

Was it snake bite? says Gaius. You should have called me immediately. Saliva is the best remedy for snake bite. Snakes flee from it as from boiling water.

Saliva? says Katherine.

Preferably of someone who has been fasting, says Gaius.

And have you been fasting? says Katherine.

No, I haven't says Gaius.

Perhaps you should start, says Katherine. Charles bit Ray Moon on the drive over.

Fear not  Katherine, says Gaius. I can look after myself.

He looks into the snake box.

Gaius, says Olive. We don't hate saliva.

Or snot, says Charles Red-belly.

Olive looks at Charles Red-belly, disgusted.

The phone rings. It's Ray Moon.

Katherine, says Ray Moon, What are you doing this evening?

Ray! Are you asking me out? says Katherine.

Yes, says Ray Moon. There's a film at the Science Exchange. Serene Universe. I thought you might like it.

What about Porky? asks Katherine.

He can sleep in the back of my Ute, says Ray Moon. See you at eight.

Katherine puts the phone down.

That Ray, says Katherine, is much nicer since he was bitten. He's invited me out to a Fringe show. No doubt to repay me for last night. Serene Universe. How delightful.

Shrieks of laughter ring out from the snake box, causing Porky to tremble.

Gaius gathers up the snake box and makes a dignified exit.


No comments: