Saturday, February 22, 2014

Inner Voyage Into Outer Space

Gaius walks back to his house with the snake box.

He goes inside and drops the snake box on the table.

He opens the snake box.

Come out, says Gaius. Both of you. Ah yes, he says, looking at Charles. A red bellied black snake. Poisonous but not too poisonous. Tell me, Olive, why were you laughing before?

Katherine's going out with Ray Moon, says Olive.

There are worse things, says Gaius.

He is thinking of one in particular.

The phone rings.

It's Margaret.

Gaius, says Margaret. You like science.

How can he say that he doesn't.

Let's say I do, says Gaius. What of it?

Margaret invites him to a screening of Serene Universe. Tonight at the Science Exchange. She has two free tickets, she says.

Gaius likes the idea of free tickets. All right. He does like science. How bad can it be.

.......

That evening, downstairs in the Science Exchange, Katherine and Moon are surprised to see Gaius and Margaret.

You didn't say you were coming, whispers Katherine to Gaius.

Margaret got us free tickets, Gaius whispers to Katherine.

Free tickets, says Moon loudly. We've all got free tickets. It's free.

Katherine is affronted. Moon hasn't paid for the tickets. What a cheapskate.

Gaius too is affronted. Margaret has tricked him again.

Maarten Roos introduces his film. It is abstract and beautiful, he says. You will see stars, planets and galaxies. You will journey to the ends of the universe. It's an inner voyage into outer space. You may find you fall into a trance.

........

Serene Universe is over. It was beautiful. The audience claps. The DVD is on sale for fifteen dollars.

It would be nice, says Katherine to Moon, if you bought one.

It would, says Moon, but I don't have the right change.

I have change, says Margaret. Do you want to buy one?

Not really , says Moon. Short of funds.

I too, am short of funds, says Gaius.

You are? says Margaret, sharply. Why is that, Gaius?

Oh, no reason, says Gaius.

He's saving up, says Katherine. To go to Tasmania.

He is, is he? says Margaret. He didn't tell me. Why is he going to Tasmania?

Giant jellyfish business, says Katherine.

Humph, says Margaret. I have relatives in Tasmania.

Silence follows. Gaius won't take the bait.

And you Moon, says Katherine. I thought religion was booming these days.

Moon: No Katherine. Not for me. My daughter ousted me from the congregation. I am currently re-evaluating my convictions.

Katherine: Good heavens! Changing your spots! And you need money. Have you thought about busking?

Moon: No. I have no talents to speak of.

Katherine: Rubbish, Moon. You can preach fire and brimstone. And you have snakes.

Moon: I haven't. Gaius has them

Margaret: Gaius! If you have the snakes, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Gaius: What for?

Margaret and Katherine, the schemers, are on the same page. They both know exactly what for.


No comments: