Thursday, February 20, 2014

In Pursuit Of The New Giant Jellyfish

David, Vello and Moon have come back to Katherine's.

Come in, says Katherine. How was the play?

Very good, says David. You would have enjoyed it.

I know, says Katherine. Instead of which......

Oh yes, how is Porky? says David.

Katherine lifts Porky gently out of the snake box.

He's bandaged all over! says Vello.

Indeed, says Katherine. That is because he was bitten.

I say! says David. He was bitten! As well as run over. Poor fellow.

Olive Python and Charles Red-belly slide off the white leather settee and disappear under it.

David and Vello sit down on the white leather settee.

Sit down, Moon, says Katherine. I'll make everyone a cup of hot chocolate.

I should be going, says Moon.

All right, says Katherine. Don't forget your poisonous snake.

Oh I'm not taking him with me, says Moon. He is partnering Olive. And he wants to meet Arthur Rimbaud.

Charles Red-belly's head pokes up from under the settee.

What? says Katherine sharply.

I want to meet Arthur Rimbaud, says Charles Red-belly.

So I hear, says Katherine. There is however a problem. He's down the coast surfing with Sweezus.

We'll wait, says Charles Red-belly. We don't mind waiting. We can look after Porky. Help him get back on his feet.

No, says Katherine. Definitely not. I know, I'll call Gaius.

Ring ring! She calls Gaius.

Hello, says Gaius. Who's this?

Katherine, says Katherine. Gaius, I want you to do me a favour. You remember Olive Python?

Yes, I remember Olive, says Gaius. A beautiful specimen.

She's here with a friend, says Katherine. A snake with interesting red and black markings. I was wondering if you'd like to....er... host them.

I'll come over in the morning, says Gaius. To have a look. But I can't promise anything. I'm about to head off to Tasmania. A new species of giant jellyfish has been found there. But of course, I'm waiting for Arthur....

Good. See you then, says Katherine. Bye now. Ah, that's settled. Where's David?

David is in the kitchen, heating the milk for the hot chocolate, and getting some water for Porky in Porky's blue bowl.

It's nice to have a functional family.

No comments: