Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Kentucky Pastor

Ray Moon knocks on Gaius's door.

Come in Ray, says Gaius. So you really mean to go through with it?

If you do, says Ray. I am willing.

The snakes are extraordinarily willing, says Gaius. I hope that's a good thing.

Ray follows Gaius into the kitchen

Now, what do you know about snake handling? says Gaius.

We don't need handling, says Olive. We'll be equal partners.

Fifty-fifty, says Charles. Just tell us what you want us to do.

.........

Sweezus and Arthur have left Middleton, and are cycling back towards Adelaide.

Why? Let's listen in and find out.

Sweezus: So you've got nothing?

Arthur: Nothing at all. I'll ask Katherine.

Sweezus: Did she buy you those?

Arthur: No. But she likes me.

Sweezus: She won't give you the money.

Arthur (groaning): I know. She'll make me go shopping

Sweezus: What colour were they?

Arthur: Orange. Bright orange.

Sweezus: Yeah ....I remember. Geez, that material fades really badly.

Arthur: Yours are no better.

Sweezus: I know.

.........

Katherine and Margaret are in Rundle Mall having a coffee.

How's Porky this morning? asks Margaret. He looked very poorly last night.

Katherine looks blank for a moment.

Oh dear, says Katherine. Porky. He's still in the back of the ute. I forgot all about him.

How could you? says Margaret.

The excitement, says Katherine. The idea of Gaius and Ray going busking with snakes.

Yes, that was a brilliant idea, agrees Margaret. Do you think they'll go through with it?

I do, says Katherine. Here they come now! Don't they look professional. Hi! Ray! Gaius! Over here!

Ray comes over. He is dressed like a Kentucky pastor. He carries the snake box, sealed with heavy chains and padlocks.  A hissing sound comes from inside.

Gaius follows. He carries a glass jar of viscous liquid that could be saliva.

Gather round everyone! Gather round!


No comments: