Sunday, February 16, 2014

Misunderstanding Beaudelaire

Mid afternoon in Renmark. The air is redolent of ducks.

Pastor Moon stretches out on the grass.

Charles Red-belly slides up beside him.

To be Frank... begins Charles.

Spit it out, says Pastor Moon.

You know you want it, says Charles Red-belly.

Want what? says Pastor Moon.

To be Frank, says Charles Red-belly. Are you so thick?

Olive Python appears, mouth full of feathers.

When are we leaving? she says.

No need to hurry, says Pastor Moon. It's pleasant here. I am thinking of what Frances said, under the stars.

I knew it! says Olive.

Paperwork, says Pastor Moon. That's all words are. Including menus.

Menus? says Charles Red-belly. What about menus?

You can choose anything, says Pastor Moon.

But you might not like it, says Olive. We didn't like those nuggets.

Because you'd just eaten frogs, says Pastor Moon. That's it exactly.

I am reminded of something Beaudelaire said, says Charles.

The world only goes round by misunderstanding, says Olive.

No, not that one, says Charles.

But that's a good one, says Pastor Moon. Of all people, I understand that.

Charles Red-belly sighs.

My daughter called me, when I was inside, says Pastor Moon, rolling on to his tummy.

Helpful girl, says Charles Red-belly.

Oh yes, very helpful, agrees Pastor Moon, thinking otherwise. Tell me Charles, what was it Beaudelaire said?

About misunderstanding, says Olive Python.

No the other thing, says Pastor Moon, looking directly at Charles Red-belly.

Bad things happen naturally, says Charles Red-belly. Goodness is always the product of some art.

Actually, says Olive. I don't quite understand that.

But Pastor Moon, due to a long sequence of previous experiences, finds that he does.


No comments: