Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Fascism Through The Ages

The show is over. It is raining slightly. Vello, David and Moon hurry to the car.

Wonderful play, says David. Imaginative. What did you think, Moon?

Very clever, says Moon. Those chalk drawings. The sound effects. The parrot.

Did you know, says Vello, that it was an Italian film. In the seventies?

A Special Day? Was it? says David. Who was in it?

Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni, says Vello.

They pause to think about that.

..........

Meanwhile Katherine has come home from the vet's, with Porky, bandaged and drugged, but still breathing.

Nevertheless she is cross with the snakes.

Get out of the snake box, says Katherine. I have a few words to say to you two.

Olive Python and Charles Red-belly slither over and stretch out on the white leather settee.

Feet off! says Katherine.

They raise their tips obligingly. No need to get into more trouble.

We DON'T eat pet dogs, says Katherine sternly.

A whimper is heard from the snake box.

........

You've wrecked it for me, Vello, says David. Sophia Loren!

I liked her, when I was a youngster, says Moon.

I wish I hadn't mentioned it, says Vello. I was just trying to give it some context.

Ah yes, the political element, says David. You were interested in that, weren't you Moon?

Yes, what do you think, as a new Beaudelarian? says Vello. Changed your tune?

Are you baiting me? says Moon. I know what you're thinking.

What am I thinking? asks Vello.

That from an authoritarian despot I have changed into a dualist modernist, says Moon.

And as such, says David, you sympathise with the anti-fascist gay character.

I would, says Moon. If he'd acted gayer.

Yes, that was a bit of a riddle, says David.

Remember the context, says Vello.


No comments: