Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A Sexist Nonsensical World

Nietzsche has found himself a place on the open air upper deck, hoping to avoid any commentary and banter.

The twins have sat down just behind him.

Reg, Edith and Lauren have found seats downstairs inside.

Toot! The Spirit of the Coorong draws away from the wharf and heads for the Barrage.

A stiff breeze is blowing.

Nietzsche takes some healthful deep breaths and takes in the scenery.

Riverbank, water, island, a few poky yachts, a pelican.

Can we come and sit next to you? asks Irma.

Nietzsche doesn't appear to have heard her.

His moustache is blocking his ears, says Emma, quite loudly.

I heard you, says Nietzsche. Come on then. Sit by me. You can both tell me what you learned about me in school.

Emma and Irma come forward and sit next to Nietzsche, one each side of him.

Irma dumps her Hello Kitty back pack on Nietzsche's foot.

Ach! Huh! Nietzsche makes a big deal of moving his foot.

Sorry, says Irma.

I should think so, says Nietzsche.

It was only because of the way you were sitting, says Emma. With your legs wide apart, like dad does.

I have a surf rash, says Nietzsche.

The twins take in the import of that.

Yuck! He has a rash so he has to sit with his legs apart. So disgusting!!

Who is your philosophy teacher? asks Nietzsche.

Mrs Bottle, says Irma.

Mrs Bottle, says Nietzsche. What does she say about me?

Mrs Bottle says you have four useful things to teach us, says Emma.

Only four, says Nietzsche. May I ask what they are?

Don't drink alcohol, says Irma. Don't be a Christian. God is dead. Don't drink alcohol.

You said that last one twice, says Emma.

What was the other one? says Irma.

Don't be a woman, says Emma.

What? says Nietzsche. I have never taught that! I never wrote that anywhere....

Mrs Bottle's meant you were sexist, says Irma. She says you were writing for men. She says you said a wife makes the world nonsensical.

I did say that, admits Nietzsche.

Just then Reg comes up to get some air on the upper deck and look out for the Barrage.

But mainly to get away from Edith and Lauren, who had been having the following conversation:

Edith: Your friend Nitcher seems nice.

Lauren: He is nice. Courageous too. He paddled out alone to rescue the Catcher.

Edith: That crab in Irma's back pack?

Lauren: Yes he admires it. He says it's halfway to being a super crab.

Edith: Ha ha. It doesn't look like half way to being super anything.

Lauren: Yes, well, he rescued it, but he got a concussion. I had to do Reiki on him.

Edith: You still do Reiki?

Lauren: I'm level two now. I do distance Reiki.

Edith: I never quite understood how that works.

Lauren: To be honest, it wasn't working at all until I opened his root chakra. That made a HUGE difference.

Edith: Ooh, Lauren.

Lauren; Ha ha. I KNOW.

Edith: Ha ha. Perhaps I should learn how to open Reg's root chakra

Reg: Nonsense, Edith! Well, I might go up top now, to get some fresh air.




No comments: