Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Soon This Will All Be Forgotten

The cruise boat stops for the tourists to look at the barrage while the captain drones on.....

.....( crackle).....but removing the barrages would not reinstate the original ecosystems......

Too right says Reg, who has come onto the upper deck with Edith.

Look mum, says Emma. On the barrage.

Elegant Parrots! says Edith. A whole row of them. Don't they look determined!

Positively Hitchcockian, says Reg.

It's started, says Ageless.

Who said that? asks Edith.

What has? asks the Catcher.

Oh it's you, says Edith. How are your stab wounds?

Getting better, says the Catcher. Something's started.

What? asks Edith.

I don't know, says the Catcher.

The job applications, says Ageless. Just watch..... they'll be fluttering over.

Sure enough, the first of the Elegant Parrots rises up from the barrage and flutters over, landing on the railing near to Nietzsche and Lauren.

Oh look, Friedrich, says Lauren. It's come for the coconut crumbs.

But nothing is further from the mind of the Elegant Parrot than coconut crumbs.

I seek the Catcher, says the first Elegant Parrot.

That's you, cackles Ageless.

I know, says the Catcher.

He stands up with difficulty.

Ouch! The sticking plasters grip his flesh tightly.

I am the Catcher, says the Catcher.

A Blue Swimmer! says the Elegant Parrot, looking somewhat surprised.

The Heron had not mentioned a particular species.

No, says the Catcher. My full name is Rock Parrot Catcher. But do not fear, parrot. I learned from my mistake when I eliminated the first one.

Err... well.... I'm not certain I want to continue, says the Elegant Parrot.

Nonsense, says the Catcher. Tell me about yourself. What is elegant about you?

Can you not see? asks the Elegant Parrot. I exhibit a beauty that combines effectiveness and simplicity.

Not to me, says the Catcher.

To John Gould, who named me, says the Elegant Parrot.

Ooh. A win for the Elegant Parrot!

Go on, says the Catcher. I am intrigued now.

The Elegant Parrot is encouraged.

I have always thought that John Gould must have associated olive gold and blue with an outfit of his mother's, says the Elegant Parrot. Perhaps he saw her but rarely. She may have come up to the nursery one evening, before she left for a ball or an important dinner, dressed in olive gold trimmed with blue feathers to kiss the young John Gould goodnight. Pure speculation of course, but I have a romantic imagination.

Say no more, says the Catcher. You have the position. Terence will love you.

Terence is the Infant? asks the Elegant Parrot.

Yes, Terence is the Infant, replies the Catcher.

The Elegant Parrot hops onto the deck of the Spirit of the Coorong, to sign up to her new position in the employ of the Catcher.

The Spirit of the Coorong turns in the water and moves away from the barrage in the direction of Goolwa.

The second, third, fourth and fifth Elegant Parrots fly away.

Soon this will all be forgotten.

No comments: