Monday, May 16, 2016

Position What Position?

All aboard! says Captain Bain.

Dad's not back yet, says Emma.

Here he comes now, says Irma. Look, there's a heron!

Reg makes his way up the gang plank.

Cutting it fine there, says Captain Bain.

Sorry, says Reg. There was a heron.

So I see, says Captain Bain.

No, you don't see, says Reg. There WAS a heron.

There still is, dad, says Emma. It's followed you here.

I know, says Reg. But it's .....

The eyes of the Catcher rise up from the depths of the back pack.

Send it away! croaks the Catcher.

Oh brilliant, says the Heron. First you offer me a position, then you ask them to send me away.

Position what position? says the Catcher.

Elegant Parrot, says the Heron.

Did he offer you a position as an Elegant Parrot? asks Emma.

He did, says the Heron. It's why I stopped viciously stabbing him before swallowing him whole.

Mum, what does an Elegant Parrot look like? asks Emma.

Why dear? asks Edith. Do you think you've seen one?

No, says Emma.

Not yet, says the Heron.

Has it gone yet? asks the Catcher. I'm oozing fluids.

Come here, says Irma. Captain Bain, is there a first aid kit?

Of course, says Captain Bain. But we have to get going, it's nearly afternoon tea time.

Is it? says Reg. I hope there won't be a mix up with mine. I asked for gluten free lunch.

Did you also ask for a gluten free afternoon tea? asks Captain Bain.

I didn't realise I had to, says Reg.

I did, says Edith. Don't worry dear. Now....let me think..... Elegant Parrot.

Yes? says the Heron.

Edith gets her phone out.

The Elegant Parrot is golden olive in colour with a dark blue frontal band line above and light blue below. Its wings are predominantly olive, its outer feathers dark blue. A yellow edged tail, with shades of olive and blue. Bill and legs grey. Eyes dark brown, Average length, 23 centimetres.

That rules you out, says the Catcher.

Pshaw! says the Heron.

Toot! The Spirit of the Coorong begins moving further into the Coorong, towards another of the barrages.

Afternoon tea is served.

Tea, coffee and jammy coconut slices.

A gluten free date slice for Reg, very chewy.

Lauren is feeding jammy coconut slice chunks to Nietzsche, on the upper deck.

The trouble with me is I'm too impetuous, says Lauren. Bob will spit chips.

He won't even realise we've gone, says Nietzsche. When we get back he'll still be out surfing. He strikes me as that sort of fellow.

More jammy slice? asks Lauren. Oh look, you've got coconut all through your lovely moustache!

She playfully flicks it.

He doesn't mind at all.

He breathes calmly, rejecting self consciousness. It's good for him.

No comments: