Sunday, May 15, 2016

Brief History Of A Stalled Stabbing

Nietzsche must make a decision.

Go back for the Catcher. Or leave him to fend for himself, and go back to the boat with the others, for afternoon tea.

What would Zarathustra do?

Not dither, that much is certain.

What's the matter? asks Lauren.

I've abandoned the Catcher, says Nietzsche.

He's only a crab, after all, says Lauren. Plenty more in the sea.

If only, says Edith. I love crab, don't you?

Mum, I've forgotten my back pack, says Irma.

Reg, can you run back and get it? says Edith.

Okay, says Reg.

He turns and runs back to the spot at the edge of the Great Southern Ocean where the Heron is stabbing the Catcher.

Stab! Stab! With its large beak. That's what herons do.

But the Catcher is new. Unknown to the Heron world is the Catcher.

The Catcher speaks to the Heron.

Catcher: Do you ever dream?

Heron (stabbing viciously): I dream of eating as many fat crabs as I like.

Catcher: Have you ever dreamed of, say, being a parrot?

Heron: Why would I dream of being a parrot?

Catcher: It depends.

Heron: On what? What sort of parrot?

Catcher: Yes. An Elegant Parrot for example.

Heron: I think you misunderstood what I was asking.

Catcher: I see you are superbly intelligent.

Heron: I do pride myself.

Catcher: But you are not very attractive. And your black throat spots give you away.

Heron: What does an Elegant Parrot look like?

Catcher: That's just it. Who can say what is elegant?

Heron: I see. Is there anything in it for me though?

Catcher: Certainly. I have a contact. Admittedly, he is an infant.

Heron: Tell me more.

It is at this point that Reg appears. Too late to save the Catcher, had the Catcher not stayed his own execution.

But Reg may be useful.

As he picks up his daughter's back pack he cannot help but notice the Catcher, and the Heron.

Reg! says the Catcher. Mind giving us a lift in the back pack?

You, yes, says Reg. But no way I'm lifting a heron. Who knows if it isn't protected?

I may be transitioning, says the Heron. So I'll be unprotected. I'm in the midst of negotiations.

Too bad, says Reg. You're still the same size.

I'll fly behind you, says the Heron.

I wouldn't advise it, says Reg.

Above and behind you, says the Heron.

And perhaps to one side, says Reg.

All right, says the Heron

Reg thinks: Who knew that a Heron could be so accommodating?

He breaks wind gently, shoulders the back pack and heads for the sand dunes.


No comments: