Tuesday, May 3, 2016

You Will Get A New Eye

On the open air upper deck of the Spirit of the Coorong, not everyone has a good view.

Inside Irma's Hello Kitty back pack, which has been dumped on the floor beside Nietzsche, Ageless lobster and the Catcher are feeling unwell.

Ageless: Ooeughghhh!

The Catcher: Shut up!

Ageless: I'm trying.

The Catcher: Try harder. I'm listening.

Ageless: Ooeugh-heh! Moult! Moult-faster! Unch!

The Catcher: That never works. Ayew! But I feel a tingling.

Ageless: Good for you.

The Catcher: Where are we?

Ageless: Inside a back pack with the faint outline of a kitten.

The Catcher: She's waving.

Ageless: Not at us.

The Catcher: I meant the bigger picture.

Ageless: So did I.

The Catcher: Stop talking. Listen. We might get a clue.

The Intercom: The Barrage is six hundred and thirty two metres long.......

The Catcher: We're at the Barrage!

Ageless: What use is that?

The Intercom: Constructed in 1934 to maintain the freshness of the River Murray as far as Wellington, and prevent the ingress of saltwater during periods of low river.......

The Catcher: Prevent ingress of salt water. Did you ever?

Ageless: I wonder.....

The Catcher: What?

Ageless: If I'll ever get my sight back in this eye. The one that you injured.

The Catcher: I'll get a new swimming leg, but it'll be smaller.

Ageless: Is that your answer?

The Catcher: Take from it what you will. If it's a metaphor, you'll get a new eye but it'll be smaller.

Ageless: I don't think that's a proper use of a metaphor.

The Catcher: What would you know?

Ageless: I know Kobo. She knows all there is to know about metaphors

The Catcher: Ah. The delectable Kobo. Cause of our squabbles.

Ageless: Don't START, brother!  Calm. Calm. Look at the kitten.

The Catcher: Me?

Ageless: No me.

The Catcher: It's a Hello Kitty kitten. Japanese. Designed to be loved by pre-adolescent girls.

Ageless: What's it called?

The Catcher: Hello Kitty,

Faint outline of Hello Kitty: Oh no, boys. That's not my real name.

No comments: