Saturday, December 8, 2018

A Bad Day For Baby

A cement finger pokes Sweezus awake.

It's first thing in the morning! says Terence.

Uh! Sweezus has forgotten why it matters.

Arthur stirs in his bunk and rolls over.

Gaius and Humboldt are snoring.

Not yet, buddy, says Sweezus. Maybe later.

You SAID! says Terence. We're supposed to be getting a parrot!

Yeah, says Sweezus. I did say that. Okay, cool. First, I need a coffee.

FIRST? says Terence.

I'll bring it with me, says Sweezus.

Gloria is waiting outside the door.

Ready for the parrot hunt? asks Gloria. Ooh! Is that coffee?

Yeah, says Sweezus. Want one?

Smells good, says Gloria. I'll just inhale it.

She hovers over his coffee.

Smhh-hahhh!

Can we GO now? asks Terence.

Yep, says Sweezus. Let's go.

They walk and flit amongst trees. It seems the best place to spot parrots.

Shh! says Gloria.

Whistle! Chirrup!

Terence crashes through native grasses.

Oom! A startled bird flies up.

Shit! says Sweezus. Don't do that Terence!

It was a parrot! cries Terence.

The startled bird comes back.

No one calls her parrot.

A weak chicken-like call rises from the crushed grasses.

It's her little one, who has nearly been stepped on.

Watch it! says the no-longer-startled-not-parrot to Terence.

Do you want to come with me and do my errands? asks Terence.

NO! I'm no parrot! she replies. I'm a red-chested buttonquail.

Awesome! says Sweezus. How come you know that?

Know what? asks the buttonquail. That I'm a buttonquail?

Yeah, that too, says Sweezus. But, like, that parrots do errands.

Everyone knows that, says the buttonquail. Now bog off, will you!

We're going, says Gloria, but first, have you seen any non-endemic parrots?

Here and there, says the buttonquail.

Where? asks Terence.

Depends, says the buttonquail. You after a double-eyed fig parrot? They're pretty rare. Or a common old red-winged parrot?

Anything, says Sweezus.

The buttonquail points up with her wing.

A small light green parrot with red wing edges is sitting on a branch just above them.

Celia! says the buttontail.

Common old! squawks Celia. I like that!

She drops a tiny bird shit right near the buttonquail baby.


1 comment:

Agent 54 said...

I love bird, especially when they're cooked properly.