Sunday, December 2, 2018

Fall Back Position

If Ageless were in a fit state to answer, Kambel would ask him:

How do you know you're immortal?

And Ageless would answer:

All lobsters are immortal. We regenerate, as I'm doing now.

To which Kambel, if he had his wits about him, would reply:

I've eaten many a lobster.

And Ageless would explain to him that immortality is a fall back position.

However, none of this happens.

Try again, says Gloria. We must get him to water.

What do you say to me carrying him in my mouth? asks Kambel.

Any means are better than no means, says Gloria.

Kambel picks Ageless up in his mouth. He is soft and smells tasty.

He puts him down again.

I don't think I can do this, says Kambel. My instinct is to consume him.

Let this be a test, says Gloria.

It was a test, says Kambel. I've just said I can't do it.

What would a Knight of the Golden Tortoise do? asks Gloria.

Kambel considers. After all, he is one. His cut toes attest to the sacrifice.

Ageless cannot speak temporarily, or else he would say:

A Knight of the Golden Tortoise would be unwilling to consume or assist me.

The right thing, says Kambel.

Well said! says Gloria.

Kambel picks up the burden.

Soon they arrive at the banks of the River Embley.

Kambel sets Ageless down in the mud.

Roll him in, says Gloria. Let him settle.

Ageless feels himself passing from mud to clear water, ahhh,,,,,streaming water weeds, round pebbles like cushions, an olive sea snake,,,,what is she doing here???,,,,,,,aahh,,,,,,,aahh,,,,,,, he settles.

Now what ? says Kambel.

We wait, says Gloria. I wonder how long this will take?

Surely not long, says Kambel.  Meanwhile I'll have a go with his clay. Care to give me a lesson?

Sure, says Gloria. But aren't your phalanges hurting?

I'll start with the visualisation, says Kambel. Any ideas?

Gloria sighs.

She suspects he lacks artistic temperament.

No comments: