Wednesday, December 26, 2018

By Nature Determined

It came back! cries Terence.

The question is, why? says Celia.

What came back? asks Gaius, who has been prawning nearby.

The fastest prawn ever! says Terence.

The Cherabin may not be the fastest prawn ever, but he is quick-witted.

I'll make you an offer, says the Cherabin.

I don't want to be an offer, says Terence.

He's offering you something, says Celia.

What? asks Terence.

Whatever it takes, says the Cherabin. I MUST live in this pot.

You CAN! says Terence. That's why I brought it.

Stop! says Celia. That is not how you bargain.

It certainly isn't, says Gaius.

Quiet! hisses Roderick. The prawns'll scatter.

We've already got one, says Gaius. We're bargaining with it.

You guys! says Roderick. Hopeless.

He moves off with his torch, closer to where Sweezus is paddling.

The bargaining continues.

Now, says Gaius. Let me look at you. A blue claw. Promising. Strong chelipeds, the second pair in particular. How is your nature? Are you determined?

To live in this pot? Yes, I am determined, says the Cherabin.

Would you do anything? asks Gaius. Assuming it was physically possible?

I'm not quite with you, says the Cherubin. It looks a good fit.

It's a bit crooked says Terence. And it's melting. That's because it hasn't been fired yet. And those holes are where the toast crumbs were, and now they're floating away.

Great sales pitch, says Celia.

I still want it, says the Cherabin, but less determinedly.

Terence can make any number of these, says Gaius.

I made three already! says Terence.

Let me put something to you, says Gaius. Semper paratus.

Is that it? asks the Cherabin.

No that is my opening gambit, says Gaius.

That's me, says Celia. Always a parrot.

Always ready, says Gaius. That refers to me. Not a parrot.

Now you've lost me, says the Cherabin.

Sweezus splashes up behind them.

Man! says Sweezus. Awesome prawn! Good legs on him! This the one you're gonna recruit for Team Crustacean?

Did you say Team Crustacean? asks the Cherubin. The team captained by Ageless lobster?

Yes, says Sweezus. The one and only. So the deal's not done and dusted?

I hadn't yet broached the subject, says Gaius. I had only made an opening remark.

No worries. I'm IN, says the Cherabin.

You're not in, says Terence. You should get in, it's melting.

It's dissolving, not melting, says Gaius. And it's lost all it's toast crumbs. Perhaps our new friend is having second thoughts?

No, I'm not, says the Cherabin. Call me Blue Claw. Do I get a free bicycle?

Yes! says Terence, forgetting he has no jurisdiction.

So it is settled.

It only remains for Roderick Coconut to reach his thirty prawn limit, and share out the donuts.

No comments: