Tuesday, December 18, 2018

What Does That Mean I Know?

Terence is impressed with Celia's accident story.

No nut fell on her sister.

What a sad way to die.

That was bad luck for your sister, says Terence.

I know, says Celia. But we parrots are philosophical.

Grandpa is philosophical, says Terence.

I'd like to meet him too, says Celia. What is his name?

Grandpa Marx, says Terence. He knows everything.

I shouldn't say this, says Celia, but I will. A philosophical person, or bird, recognises that they don't know everything.

Grandpa knows that, says Terence. So that IS everything. He has a white beard and white hair.

You are ingenuous, says Celia. I have a yellowish green body and wings with red and pink trimmings. What does that mean I know?

What you look like, says Terence.

Very good, says Celia, what you lack in wisdom you make up for in simplicity.

I've got a claw, says Terence. See this. What does that mean I know?

You shouldn't have a claw, says Celia, but I see you do have one. It seems to be stuck on with glue. The claw of a baby bristlebird, if I'm not mistaken.

Correct, says Terence. My blood brother. He's got my finger.

That alarms me, says Celia. It was not a fair exchange.

Why not? asks Terence. My finger was crooked.

Before or after? asks Celia.

Before and after, says Terence. And for ever. It's pointing.

At anything in particular? asks Celia.

At Grandpa Marx, says Terence.

So now baby bristlebird is pointing at your grandpa, says Celia. Does he see your grandpa?

No, says Terence.

Then it's pointless, says Celia.

A short silence follows until:

Is that a joke? I asks Terence.

It is a joke, says Celia.

Ha ha! I love jokes, says Terence.

No comments: