Wednesday, December 5, 2018

The New Ageless

I wasn't expecting that, says Kambel.

I know, says Gloria. But it seemed pointless to offer an opinion

Why? asks Kambel.

Because your last line was: To criticism I am indifferent.

That doesn't mean I'm indifferent, says Kambel.

To me it does, says Gloria.

It's my poem, says Kambel. It's about me as a character.

So you would like my opinion? asks Gloria.

Not now, says Kambel. I'm more interested in how you might get me the frog pen.

Who wants it? asks Gloria. You or your character?

Me, says Kambel. I can't see a Knight of the Golden Tortoise using a frog pen.

A punching frog pen, says Gloria. I can. Although... are Knights of the Golden Tortoise aggressive?

I don't know, says Kambel. Does it matter?

Probably not, says Gloria. It was Sweezus's pen before it was Terence's.

But it's Terence's now. How do you suggest I might get it?

Three possibilities, says Gloria. One, a swap for something Terence wants more than the frog pen.

A parrot, says Kambel. Fat chance. Parrots avoid me.

Two, says Gloria, Terence loses the frog pen.

That's the one, says Kambel. Terence loses the frog pen. And you bring it to me.

Me? says Gloria. I'm a face. I can't bring you a frog pen.

Then why suggest it? mutters Kambel

Three, says Gloria. You take Ageless hostage. He is vulnerable at the moment. But they value him. They'll want him back.

You are a genius, says Kambel.

I know, says Gloria. Is that your preference?

Yes, says Kambel. Hah!

Under the water, nearby, Ageless is hardening. He is marginally bigger than before. His colouring is becoming spectacular. Most lobsters (uncooked) are dark blue-green or greenish-brown, but Ageless is cobalt blue with black chevrons.

This he is yet to discover.

But the new Ageless will not take kindly to being exchanged for a frog pen

No comments: